Friday, September 3, 2010

The Wise Woman Builds Her House

Ever have one of those...I need a quick word from you, Father...as you open your Bible?

Here is today's Word for me:
The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down. Proverbs 14:1
 Ok, God, what are you telling me?

First, I know where my heart is being led this Fall. (BTW, this was not how I was going to start this post)
I need to get back to basics.
I say that alot, but I mean the very basics.
The foundation.
It's been a long time since I've looked at the very bottom of things and brushed away the clutter and spent time inspecting my foundation.
I'll break it down.
Prayer.
Marriage.
Speaking gently.
Dinner.
Doesn't sound that exciting does it. But that's my focus this Fall!

First, if my foundation isn't on the Rock, Jesus Christ, how can I expect to build up my home. And it starts with prayer. We had a big eye-opener re: my oldest son, who went thru a really dark period of time last Spring. He is too young to have gone thru this, but it was definetly a spiritual warfare that we walked thru. Praise God that he was delivered from something at a church conference and God has walked with him closely. I can't tell you how wonderful it's been having my son back! This summer was such a joy to be with him and to have great conversations. Truly a different kid! Thank You, Lord. We're not sure how this all came to be, but I'm tired of feeling like I'm peddling to try to keep up with all the teen stuff. So, I want to be pro-active and be on my knees and keeping my children lifted before God, BEFORE things happen! They need such incredible protection and guidance and wisdom, that can only come from above! My older three are in public school so that complicates the matter. But they are there, because that is where we've been led for them for this year. It's a very hard decision. But I know that by being on my knees I can impact their lives in a mighty way!
And if I'm not being fed (spiritually), how can I feed my precious children with words of life?

Second, other than Christ, our marriage is THE foundation of this home. And I've walked with dear friends lately who's "Christian" marriages have ended in divorce. Where did that come from? How did that happen? I don't know and I'm sure they are wondering the same thing. I can't continue to let things slide in my marriage. To let complacency be the norm. We have to be on our guard and continually putting our marriages before God and asking Him to help us make it better and protect this vital foundation! I look at our 6 children and thank God that they have a model of parents that love each other to watch.

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. Proverbs 15:1
Third, if only I could have approached my conversation with my daughter differently yesterday. How I approach this tween is key to my relationship with her. But so often I am in a hurry, can't hear because of babies or get caught up in her hormonal state that it usually ends up with me getting her wrath or she mine!  Lord, please help me to be gentle! And help her not to be so defensive! Thank, You!

Fourth, Dinner. Duhhh!!! You'd think that this mom of many would have this one down by now. Trying. I have a love hate relationship with my kitchen. I love to eat. Hate to cook. Ok, hate is a strong word. Don't enjoy it.  But it is key to the existance of my family's health and to our communication. I can let a lot of things slide now that my older ones can fend for themselves in the kitchen. But I have to make this a priority! Everyone is happier with a yummy dinner that's homemade. So that is my goal. I'll keep you posted. Now tonight is Mac&Cheese, because hubby and I get to go out with my sister and her hubby! Yay! But I am making a breakfast casserole for in the morning! And I made Chicken Divan and Meatloaf with mashed potatoes in the last couple of days. Trying!

So the lesson today, thanks God, is that it is easy to tear down my house thru complacency, harsh words, and no food! But I can build upon this firm foundation that I've been given and watch it grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment